Mom's Pepper Steak

Monday, February 22, 2010

Tonight's meal is one of Scott's favorites. He had never had Pepper Steak until late in 2009, when my mom made it for dinner one night. He was absolute hooked after that. We also had some mashed potatoes, a bag of Steamer Corn and some biscuits. Perfect cold weather meal!

Here's what I started with:



My Mom's Pepper Steak Recipe:1 1/2lb chuck or round steak (cut if strips)
1/3 cup of flour
1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon pepper ( I like pepper, I probably used more than this)
1 large onion sliced or diced
1 green pepper sliced
1 lb. can of tomatoes ( I use 2 cans of 14.5 oz of diced tomatoes. I don't like the flavored tomatoes like garlic and basil etc. It gives the pepper steak a funny taste.
1 4oz can of mushrooms. I use stem and pieces.
3 tablespoons of soy sauce

Directions: Put steak strips, flour, salt and pepper in a crock pot and stir until the meat is coated ( I usually do this before I put it in the crock pot) Add all other ingredients to the steak in the crock pot. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour then turn down on low for 8 hours
or cook on high for 5 hours.

I usually make up some cornstarch and water when the pepper steak is done and add a little to thicken the 'gravy' .

You can serve over rice or with whatever sides you want

Here's how I did it:

#1 First, I cut all of the meat off of the bone.



#2 I seasoned the meat with Home Seasoning.



#3 I measured out 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and covered the steak.





#4 The floured meat went into the crockpot.



#5 I cut up a green pepper and a large onion and added it to the crockpot.







#6 Next, I added 2 cans of diced tomatoes (not the flavored kind).



#7 I added 1 small can of mushrooms with stems and pieces.



#8 Finally, I threw in 3T of soy sauce--an absolute must for this recipe.





#9 Covered the crockpot and put it on to cook for 6 hours.



#10 About 20 minutes before it was time to eat, I put 2T of cornstarch in some water (just enough to make kind of a runny paste) and added it to the pot so the sauce would thicken up a bit.







Review:

This meal is a staple in our house. We all love it. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare the pepper steak and then just turn on the crockpot and forget it. If you are in a hurry, you could defintiely put it all in the crockpot the night before and stick it in the refrigerator and then just turn it on before you leave for work in the morning.
Did you see that huge steak that I started with? Well, let me tell you that by the time that 6 hours was over, it was fork tender. Meat was just floating throughout the entire sauce. I popped a bag of Sweet Corn Steamers in the microwave and a can of biscuits to go along with it. YUMMY!
We always make it with mashed potatoes because everyone loves my mom's mashed potatoes but you could certainly make some rice and serve it over that. It would taste great with all of those juices.
Hope you enjoy!
April

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG- This WAS AHHHMAZZZIN!!! Eric said it was the best roast I ever made and My kids both ate EVERY bite!! It will be a gold standard in our house from now on Thank You!!

April Westerhold said...

So glad. Like I told you, we LOVE it!

Post a Comment