Southwest Salad

Friday, September 2, 2011

Southwest Salad  adapted from Life . . . As I See It
2 c. brown rice
1-15 oz. can black beans, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
2 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1/4 c. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder

Directions:  Combine all ingredients and refrigerate. Enjoy!

Modifications:
-I used red wine vinegar.
-I used ready to serve brown and wile rice.
-I used canned corn instead of frozen.

Here's what you'll need:

Cut up the red pepper.

Cut up the onion (I used 1/4 of an onion).

Cut up a jalapeno.  (I used 1/4)

After cooking the rice in the microwave, add it to the bowl.

Drain and rinse the corn.

Drain and rinse the black beans.  Chop up some cilantro.

Here's what you'll end up with:
Our Thoughts:
Scott and I loved this dish.  It had a good kick with the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro and had sweetness from the corn.

The brown and serve rice worked out great and each little container was finished in just 60 seconds each.  I made this dish in about 3 minutes and then just popped it into the refrigerator to chill.

I want to make a breakfast burrito or omelet using the leftovers.  This dish would also be great to as a dip with pita bread.

I did have to add salt to cut through the vinegar but that may just be because I used red wine vinegar instead of white.

Hope you enjoy!
April





3 comments:

jillconyers said...

Glad you liked the recipe. Oh and it's great for breakfast burritos!

Thank you for letting me know you tried it :) I'll have another clean eating recipe blogged on Mon.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Love this and I love the idea of putting the leftovers in an omelette! Thanks!

Chris said...

I definitely agree with the red wine vinegar substitution. This sounds great and perfect for football season.

Post a Comment