What to do Friday-Saturday?

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Well, my first week of meal planning is down and I am so excited about the support I have received. This has been so much fun for me as it combines a lot of things that I really love--cooking, researching, writing and teaching.

I really hope that you will be able to use some of these recipes to put the "family dinner" back in your family. I know that life is hectic with work, housework, kids' schedules, etc but even if it is just one night a week, maybe you'll find something on here that your whole family can sit down and enjoy.

I usually don't do much cooking on the weekends unless you count the occasional pot of chili on football Sundays. If you are like me, you will want a break from cooking, as well. I know that I had quite a few leftovers this week so if did, too, then just have a potluck of your own! Pull everything out of the fridge and eat away. Of course, most of my leftovers went for lunch the next day!

I'm going to try a recipe from my friend, Jane, this week--the onion roasted sweet peppers. If you have a recipe that you want to share, please send it to me!

I thought I would go ahead and post the Shopping List and Recipes for next week's meals.

Remember to always go through your pantry and refrigerator to check for items. Check your local grocery store ads and coupons to see if you can buy the items on sale.

Shopping List

1 package of Angel hair pasta
Olive oil
1 large container of fresh mushrooms
1lb shrimp (deveined)
Shallots (green onions or chives)
2 plum tomatoes
1 container heavy cream
Parsley (fresh or dry)
Parmesan cheese
2 medium onions of your choice
Green peppers (squatty and enough for each member of your family to have at least 1)
Green pepper (for another recipe)
1lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
1 package part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 jar of beef bouillon
1 package hoagie rolls (or rolls of your choice)
1-1 1/2lbs of 93/7 ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 box dirty rice mix such as Zatarain's
1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon instant minced onion
1 bay leaf
1 jar chicken gravy
2 celery stalks
1 box original Bisquick mix
Milk
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1 lb sweet potatoes (5-6 large ones)
Vegetable oil
1 bag of Steam Fresh broccoli
1 can of corn (or your choice of side veggie)
1 bottle of Asti Spumont champagne (or a cheap sweeter champagne-not a brut)

What's for dinner next week?

Champagne Shrimp and Pasta with steamed broccoli
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches with onion roasted sweet potatoes
Stuffed Green Peppers with corn (at least at our house it will be corn)
Slow Cooker Upside-Down Chicken Potpie


2 comments:

Team Tezzy said...

Is that mom's champagne shrimp? She said it was really good, but honestly, I forgot about it. The slow cooker chicken potpie also sounds delish!

April Westerhold said...

Yes, it is the one mom loved. Scott isn't very excited about it because he typically doesn't like seafood and pasta mixed but he said he would try it.

Post a Comment