From the Archives: Jerry Sobery's Chicken and Dumplings

Monday, December 27, 2010

Tonight's meal was from last winter. Kanin has been begging me to make it again so tonight I did. It is really good and really easy!

Jerry Sobery's Chicken and Dumpling Recipe
1 (32) oz of chicken broth
5 cups of shredded cooked chicken
1 10 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 10 1/2 oz can of jumbo refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
frozen peas

Directions:  I always toss in some frozen chopped onions and season with a little pepper or Mrs. Dash.

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil over med. high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to med. high : return to a low boil.

Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8 inch thickness: cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.;

Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add peas and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 min. stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

Here's what I started with:

Here's how I did it:

#1 I cut up 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts to help them cook.


#2 I put the chicken pieces in boiling water and let them cook for about 20 minutes.


#3 Once the chicken was cooked through, I drained them and then shredded it with 2 forks.


#4 Next, I combined the chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup and cooked chicken in a dutch oven.  I brought it to a boil, turned it down and covered it and let it simmer for a bit and then turned it back up to a low boil.


#5 While the chicken was boiling in the stock, I threw some flour down on the cutting board.  I opened the biscuits and padded them down until they were about 1/8 inch and then cut them into 1/2 inch strips.



#6 I dropped them into the pot and let it cook, covered, for about 20 minutes.  I stirred it every once in a while so they biscuits didn't stick.



#7 Finally, I put about 1/2 bag of green peas in the pot, too.

The Finished Product:



Review:

This recipe was so good and so easy.  I had never heard of dropping biscuit dough into boiling water so I was afraid that they would turn out really doughy but they were fantastic.  (Apparently, though, this is a popular way of making dumplings instead of from scratch). 

The peas added a sweetness to the dish and chicken stock, chicken and cream of mushroom soup made a perfect broth.  Kanin had 4 helpings so anytime that happens then the recipe is a keeper!

Thanks, Georgia, for sending me your mom's recipe!

Hope you enjoy!
April

*****(5 Stars)--This dish was fantastic! It will definitely become a part of our regular rotation and we will definitely have it over and over again!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I KNOW boiling chicken is how you make chicken and dumplings because you need the broth and using grilled chicken isn't the same in this dish.

But it still hurts me to boil the chicken when we do it! It feels so wrong :)

April Westerhold said...

Me, too, Chris. It kind of grosses me out a bit but it tastes so good!

Joleen & Justin Ruiz said...

I have been following your blog for quite sometime and have wanted to make every single dish.... but never got around to it. THIS recipe really caught my eye. It sounded good, plus it is really cold so I decided to make it.
It turned out amazing. I have enough for left overs and really enjoyed it. Making it was cake! I was something so simple, yet so delish.

Thanks and keep the recipes coming!

Team Tezzy said...

Boiling meat is the best way to make practically any soup that's involves meat b/c it creates stock as you boil. When Jeff makes his annual turkey noodle soup (with leftover Thanksgiving turkey), he'll throw the turkey in with water, carrots, onion, garlic and seasonings & just let it simmer for a good long while before adding the rest of the ingredients. It makes the BEST flavored stock. Also, I boil the beef when I do vegetable/beef stew, too, for the same reasons.

Post a Comment