Chinese Garlic Chicken

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Before I get started with this recipe, let me tell you that I really flubbed up the process.  The taste was still good but I did not follow directions very well.  If you look at the linked site, the separation of the marinade isn't not very distinct so I ended up marinading the chicken with all of the ingredients and then cooking the whole thing.

Chinese Garlic Chicken adapted from About (dot) com
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts


Marinade (They didn't have this quite as distinct as I do)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry

Other: (or this)
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 green onions, finely chopped on the diagonal
a few drops sesame oil
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon chili paste
Oil for stir-frying

Directions:  Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Place in a bowl, mix in the marinade ingredients and marinate for about 20 - 25 minutes.

While the chicken is marinating, prepare the garlic and green onions. Combine the sesame oil, light soy sauce, sherry and chili paste in a bowl and set aside.

Heat wok and add oil. When oil is ready, add the marinated chicken. Stir-fry briefly on high heat, then add the garlic and green onion. Add the remaining ingredients and combine (total cooking time should be about 5 minutes). Serve hot with rice. Serves 4.

Garlic Chicken Recipe by Rhonda Parkinson.

Modifications:
-I marinaded and cooked the whole thing.
-I added a splash of marsala wine.


Here's what you'll need:

Mince up the garlic.

Chop up the onion.

This is where I start to mess it up.

I put everthing in the bowl and marinaded the chicken for 25 minutes.


Cut the chicken in to bite-sizes.

Stir and marinade for 25 minutes.

After marinading, add the chicken to a hot wok or skillet with some canola oil.  I had also cooked a bag of "boil in a bag" brown rice.  Once it was finished, I added it to the wok to crisp up a bit.

Here's what you'll end up with:
Our Thoughts:
Despite the obvious preparation flaws, this dish was really good.  I have never used chili paste before and I was afraid that it was going to be too spicy but we couldn't taste the spice at all.  In fact, I could have standed to use a little more of the chili paste but I was afraid the kiddos wouldn't be able to handle it.

Hope you enjoy!
April




2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm surprised the sambal didn't come through more because it's close cousin sriracha brings bold flavors. I was going to pick up some sambal today for a dish Jenn made on Fireday Friday at Our Krazzy Kitchen.

I have a pork tenderloin recipe where I did the exact same thing (accidentally made a marinade out of the marinade AND dipping sauce). I never went back to making it the right way because it was so good the wrong way!

Bartenders License Online said...

This really looks delicious with lots of twists. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Handler Certification.

Post a Comment