Chicken "Fried Rice"

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I am obsessed with bulgur wheat.  Here are a couple of my favorite:  Bulgur Wheat with Sauteed Vegetables, Turkey Manicotti

A couple of weeks ago, Scott suggested that we try to make it into a "fried rice" type dish.  I thought this was a great idea so yesterday I tried it.

Chicken "Fried Rice"
1-1/2 lbs chicken breast, diced
Stir fry vegetables
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cups bulgur wheat
4 cups water
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 egg
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (to taste)

Here's what you'll need:
Disregard the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar.  I was going to use it to make a sauce but I could never get it to taste right so I just went with teriyaki.

Cook bulgur wheat according to directions.  It is a 2:1 ratio so I used 4 cups of water and 2 cups of bulgur.

I minced 3-4 cloves of garlic and sliced up 1/2 of an onion.

Dice up the chicken into bite-sized cubes.

Put the bulgur on to boil and let it boil for 10-15 minutes.

Saute the onions and garlic in 2-3 Tbsps of olive oil in either a wok or a hot skillet.

Add the chicken.

Once most of the water has cooked out of the wheat, pour it over into the pan with chicken, onions, and garlic.

Move all of it over to one side and crack the egg.  Scramble it up and mix it in with the rest of the mixture.


Add the vegetables.  If you use canned, make sure to drain.  I used frozen.

After letting the veggies cook for a couple of minutes, I poured about 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce and mix it together.

I really wanted to have the wheat crisp up like a fried rice so I pushed it all down into the skillet and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.  I then scooped it all around and pressed it all down again and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes.  This really gave the wheat some crispiness.

This is what you'll end up with:
Our Thoughts:
This dish was so good and so healthy.  If you dont' know anything about bulgur wheat and you are trying to eat more healthfully, I encourage you to do some research on it.  I love it.

I am really glad that I pushed the wheat down into the skillet to really let it crisp up.  It gave it the crispiness of Chinese fried rice and even Kanin really liked it.  He ate 3 helpings!!

BTW, the broccoli was great with the earthiness of the wheat.  I should have just added a whole bag of broccoli but I also added peas, carrots, and corn.

Of course, you could do any type of Asian marinade or sauce but Scott loves teriyaki so that is what I used.

This pan was full if it gives you any indication of how much everyone liked it. 

Hope you enjoy!
April





1 comments:

Chris said...

Very creative, I wouldn't have thought of pairing it this way but it obviously works well!

Post a Comment