Bulgur Wheat with Sauteed Vegetables

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bulgur Wheat With Sautéed Vegetables from RecipeZaar
1 cup Bulgar wheat
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
6 medium mushrooms, of your choice sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
salt and pepper

Directions:  Simmer the bulgur in the broth, uncovered, for about 15 min, mixing occasionally.  Add granulated garlic and basil and stir thoroughly, then set aside so bulgur can absorb any remaining liquid.  Sauté the onions and mushrooms in 1 tbsp of the olive oil until onions are softened and starting to turn translucent.  Add bell peppers and continue to cook until peppers are crisp-tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the bulgur wheat to the pan with the vegetables and toss to combine, breaking up any lumps.
Drizzle with remaining olive oil (or alternatively, stir in some butter). Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve immediately while hot.

Here's what I started with:




Here's how I did it:

#1 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth into a pot and added 1 cup of bulgur wheat.





#2 I let this simmer for about 15 minutes.



#3 While the wheat was doing its thing, I diced a red pepper, yellow pepper and red onion.  I sliced up 6 mushrooms, too.









#4 After about 15 minutes, I added the basil and the garlic powder to the bulgure wheat and pulled it off of the heat so that it could soak up all of the broth.

#5 While the wheat was soaking up the juices, I put some olive oil in a pan and threw in the onions and mushrooms.





#6 Next, the peppers went in and cooked until they were crisp-hard.  Then, I poured the bulgure in with the veggies, mixed it up and let it meld together for about 8 minutes.





The Finished Product:



Review:

I have totally found my new obsession!  I absolutely love this bulgur wheat stuff.  I think it is so delicious, crunch, nutty, natural--HEALTHY!!  It was great with scrambled eggs and it is great with these veggies.  I cannot wait to find more recipes using bulgur wheat recipes.

I served this with Bruschetta Baked Chicken.

Hope you enjoy!
April


0 comments:

Post a Comment