Weekly Menu 17

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Make sure to check your pantry and refrigerator for items you may already have.  Match coupons with sale items for extra savings.

Shopping List
Produce
1 onion
1 whole cauliflower

Meat
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1lb 93/7 ground beef

Groceries
1 (32) oz of chicken broth
1 10 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 box dry ziti (or a tubular noodle)
2 (26 oz) jars of spaghetti sauce
1 regular can chicken broth

Frozen
1 bag frozen peas

Dairy
1 10 1/2 oz can of jumbo refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1 package provolone sliced cheese
1 container of sour cream
1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
1 container Parmesan cheese
1 package Boursin or other garlic and herb soft cheese

ALL THE STUFF YOU WILL NEED FOR TACOS!!!!!


**DINNER #1**
Jerry Sobery's Chicken and Dumpling Recipe
1 (32) oz of chicken broth
5 cups of shredded cooked chicken
1 10 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 10 1/2 oz can of jumbo refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
frozen peas

Directions:  I always toss in some frozen chopped onions and season with a little pepper or Mrs. Dash.

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil over med. high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to med. high : return to a low boil.

Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8 inch thickness: cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.;

Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add peas and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 min. stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

**DINNER #2**
Baked Ziti
1 box dry ziti noodles
1 chopped onion
1lb lean ground beef
2 (26 oz) jars of spaghetti sauce
6 oz provolone sliced cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Modifications:
-There are a lot of things that you could do differently with this meal. I couldn't find ziti noodles that were on sale so I used Penne Rigate. You could use any type of tubular noodles. I also did not use an entire onion but about 3/4 of one. You could also probably make this with spaghetti squash if you wanted to get really healthy and carb-conscious.

-I think you could substitute the sour cream with either buttermilk or cottage cheese for a healthier version.

-I didn't use a full 2 jars of spaghetti sauce. I had about 1/2 jar left from a previous meal so I just used that and then another full jar.

-You could also substitute the 93/7 ground beef with either ground turkey or ground chicken.

-You could use fat-free or low-fat cheese.

Directions:  Chop 1 onion (I only used 3/4 of an onion).  Cook the ground beef. I also seasoned the meat with Home Seasoning. Drain the ground beef, even if it is 93/7.  I added the onions to the meat.  I added the 2 jars of spaghetti sauce.  I let the meat, onions and spaghetti sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes.  I put the entire box of noodles in boiling, salted water.  I drained the noodles after about 8-9 minutes, when the
noodles were cooked al dente.  I put half of the pasta down in a greased 9x13 baking dish.  I then covered the pasta with 6 slices of the Provolone cheese.  Next, I added 1 1/2 cups of sour cream on top of the cheese . . .and I spread it around.  On top of the sour cream, I then covered the dish with the meat mixture.  More noodles.  I added the rest of the meat and sauce mixture I covered it all with about 1/2 of the bag of shredded mozarella cheese.  I topped everything with Parmesan cheese
Finally, I covered it with tin foil and left the hubby with instructions to bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

**DINNER #3**
Just plain ole tacos and all of the fixings.

**DINNER #4** (served with grilled chicken)Cheesy Cauliflower by Rachel Ray
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 whole cauliflower
1/3 cup, about 3 ounces, Boursin or other garlic and herb soft cheese

Directions:  Add chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, to a deep pot. Trim away greens and stems from the base of cauliflower. Cut away the core with a sharp paring knife. Set cored head into pot with broth. Cover pot and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook cauliflower, covered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover the pot and mash the cauliflower. Let some liquid cook off as you smash the cheeses into the cauliflower. As the mixture thickens, turn off heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in chives and transfer cauliflower to as serving dish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment