Oven "Fried" Chicken

Monday, May 3, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken from EatingWell
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 1/2-3 pounds whole chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions:  Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.  Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. (Discard any leftover flour mixture and marinade.) Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray.  Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.

Here's what I started with:


Here's how I did it:

#1 I measured out 1/4 cup of buttermilk.


#2 I whisked together the buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce.






#3 I poured the mixture over the chicken and let it marinate for about 2 hours.

#4 Preheated the oven to 450 degrees.


#5 I measured out the flour and added sesame seeds and paprika.  (I couldn't find my thyme)




#6 After stirring it altogether, I put it in a Ziploc bag and then put individual pieces of chicken in, shook it around and laid them on a slotted baking pan.





#7 In the oven they went for about 45-50 minutes.


The Finished Product:



Review:

This "fried" chicken was really good.  It kind of reminded me of Shake-N-Bake chicken but healthier since it was made with whole wheat flour.

It may have been just a little dry but I also used skinless split chicken breasts because that is what I had so that may have contributed to the dryness.

We had this with Summer Tortellini Salad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment