Strawberry Spinach Salad

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Strawberry Spinach Salad from Mennonite Girls Can Cook

SALAD:
Use as much prewashed spinach that is needed.
Strawberries, sliced. The more the better.
Green Onions or slivered Red Onion
Toasted nuts, we like almond or Pine nuts (optional, this time due to allergies, we omitted)

DRESSING:
Combine ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid
1/2 cup oil (may use olive)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. sesame seed
1 tsp. poppy seed
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Paprika

Modifications:
-I did not use poppy seeds.

Shake very well, until sugar dissolves and is well combined.
Dress immediatly before serving or the salad will get soggy.

This is what I started with:


This is how I did it:

#1 I sliced up some strawberries.


#2 Sliced up some green onions.


#3 Then, I added all of the other ingredients into a dressing bottle and shook away.


#4 I added some chopped walnuts to the spinach and strawberries.


The Finished Product:

Review:

This salad was so yummy!  It was summery and sweet.  The poppy seeds added a great little crunch to every bite.  I wish that I would have used a red onion (love them) instead of the green onion but it was still good. 

For a healthier version, you could substitute Splenda for the sugar and maybe even some honey, although that might make the dressing too thick.

This salad was so good that even my dad tried and liked it.  If you knew how picky he is then you would be really impressed!  LOL

Hope you enjoy!
April



0 comments:

Post a Comment