Jerry Sobery's Chicken and Dumplings

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tonight's meal was from last winter.  Kanin has been begging me to make it again so tonight I did.  It is really good and really easy!

Jerry Sobery's Chicken and Dumpling Recipe
1 (32) oz of chicken broth
5 cups of shredded cooked chicken
1 10 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 10 1/2 oz can of jumbo refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
frozen peas

Directions:  I always toss in some frozen chopped onions and season with a little pepper or Mrs. Dash.

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil over med. high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to med. high : return to a low boil.

Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8 inch thickness: cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.;

Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add peas and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 min. stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

Here's what I started with:

Here's how I did it:

#1 I cut up 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts to help them cook.


#2 I put the chicken pieces in boiling water and let them cook for about 20 minutes.


#3 Once the chicken was cooked through, I drained them and then shredded it with 2 forks.


#4 Next, I combined the chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup and cooked chicken in a dutch oven.  I brought it to a boil, turned it down and covered it and let it simmer for a bit and then turned it back up to a low boil.


#5 While the chicken was boiling in the stock, I threw some flour down on the cutting board.  I opened the biscuits and padded them down until they were about 1/8 inch and then cut them into 1/2 inch strips.



#6 I dropped them into the pot and let it cook, covered, for about 20 minutes.  I stirred it every once in a while so they biscuits didn't stick.



#7 Finally, I put about 1/2 bag of green peas in the pot, too.

The Finished Product:



Review:

This recipe was so good and so easy.  I had never heard of dropping biscuit dough into boiling water so I was afraid that they would turn out really doughy but they were fantastic.  (Apparently, though, this is a popular way of making dumplings instead of from scratch). 

The peas added a sweetness to the dish and chicken stock, chicken and cream of mushroom soup made a perfect broth.  Kanin had 4 helpings so anytime that happens then the recipe is a keeper!

Thanks, Georgia, for sending me your mom's recipe!

Hope you enjoy!
April


1 comments:

The Sullivan's said...

Yummy...I use biscuit dough too !!! I've just never added peas...can't wait to try it !!!

Post a Comment