Bruschetta Baked Chicken

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bruschetta Baked Chicken from Medicinenet.com
If you can find a bottled tomato-based bruschetta in your grocery store, you can use 1 3/4-cups of this instead of the diced tomatoes, tomato pesto, fresh basil, garlic and oregano below.

Olive oil cooking spray
4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut in half to make 8 thin chicken breasts

Bruschetta:
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (whatever flavor you desire like -- roasted garlic with herbs or Italian-style)
2 tablespoons sundried tomato pesto (available in jars at most grocery stores)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic (in jars at your grocery store)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (add more if desired)
6 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella (1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup panko crumbs (soft bread crumbs can be substituted)
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.  Lay chicken pieces on the bottom of prepared pan. In medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes (not drained), tomato pesto, fresh basil, garlic, and oregano. Spread bruschetta mixture over the top of the chicken.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the bruschetta mixture. In small bowl, combine panko crumbs with Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of the mozzarella. Coat the top with olive oil cooking spray.  Bake dish, uncovered, in center of oven for 30 minutes (or until chicken is cooked throughout and the cheese is nicely bubbling).

Modifications:
-I used dried basil
-Instead of using chicken breasts and then cutting them into strips, I just used chicken strip tenderloins (strips).

Here's what I started with:


Here's how I did it:

#1 Preheated the oven to 400 degrees.


#2 I laid all of the chicken strips in a sprayed down 9x13 baking dish.


#3 I open up a can of diced tomatoes (I used the Italian herb kind).


#4 I added sundried tomato pesto (yummy) to the tomatoes along with the spices.


#5 I chopped up some garlic and added it, too.



#6 I poured the mixture over the chicken.


#7 Next came the cheese (I used it sparingly).


#8 I sprinkled Panko crumbs over the top (used sparingly) and then sprayed it with cooking spray.


#9 It went into the oven for about 35 minutes.


The Finished Product:


Review:

All I can say is--yummy!  This was SO good.  Kanin took one bite and said "Yum" so that is always a good thing.  Like I mentioned above, I used very little cheese or Panko crumbs and it was still really good.  The combination of the diced tomatoes and sundried tomato pesto with the herbs would have been enough flavoring to make this chicken taste terrific.

This dish was served with Bulgur Wheat with Sauteed Vegetables.

Hope you enjoy!
April

0 comments:

Post a Comment