Chicken and Bean Chili

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken and Bean Chili adapted from Meatless Monday
1lb ground chicken
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 can black beans, drained
1 can navy beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 16-oz can diced tomatoes
2 8-oz can tomato sauce or 1 16oz can
1-2 cups water
1 small can (4 oz) green chiles
1-2 Tbsp chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)

Directions:  Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.

Here's what you'll need:


Chop up the onion and garlic.

Put the ground chicken in a Dutch oven to brown.  Throw the onions and garlic in with the chicken.

Drain and rinse the beans.

Add the beans to the pot. 

Add the can of diced chilies.

Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add the seasonings.  Simmer and serve.
Our Thoughts:
I made this chili last night for Halloween.  I knew that things would be hectic so something quick, easy, and warm was the way to go.  I originally found this recipe as part of Meatless Monday.  I had some ground chicken that needed to be used so I decided to add it.

The addition of the can of green chilies definitely added an extra texture and flavor.  For even more peppers you could always add a diced jalapeno or green pepper.

Season to taste.  I just kind of kept adding until I got the flavor that I liked.

This chili was so good that even my pickiest eaters (my Dad and Kanin) thought it was good.  Kanin even wanted to take it to school today and my sister asked for the recipe. 

Hope you enjoy!
April





1 comments:

Holly said...

Looks fantastic!! :)

Post a Comment