Summer Bean Salad

Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Bean Salad from The Real Mom Kitchen
1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can of cennelllini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 (4 oz) can of green chilies
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
3 Tbsps, cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin

Directions:  Combine dressing ingredients in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.  While dressing cools, prepare the rest of the ingredients and place in a large bowl.  Pour cooled dressing over bean mixture and toss to coat.  Makes 6-8 servings.

Modifications:
-I did not have the green chilies
-I forgot to boil the dressing.
-I left out the celery
-I finely chopped up 1 jalapeno and added it.

Here's what I started with:


Here's how I did it:

#1 I drained and rinsed the beans.


#2 Cut up red onion, green pepper and red pepper and add them to the beans.




#3 Finely chop the cilantro and add to the beans.


#4 Whisk together the rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic powder and cumin.  You are supposed to boil it but I forgot this step.


#5 Pour it over the beans.


The Finished Product:

Review:

I loved the combination of the different beans, peppers and onions.  The dressing was a sweeter dressing but with the kick of the red onion and jalapeno it wasn't overpowering.  I think, though, that next time I will cut back the sugar to maybe just 1 1/2T since it is already being made with rice wine vinegar.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Like this! Kind of reminds me of that Texas or Cowboy Caviar that uses black eyed peas.

The Sullivan's said...

I absolutely LOVE it...gonna have to make this tonight!!! Thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

Mmm.. It kind of reminds me of texas caviar, too... I want some!

Post a Comment