Andrea's Veggie-Filled Burgers

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I got tonight's recipe from my friend, Andrea.  I loved that it packed in a few extra veggies and since it was a warmer day, burgers was a great dinner.

Andrea's Veggie-Filled Burgers
1 med sweet potato

1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 med onion
1lb or so diet lean hamburger
Steak seasoning to taste (probably 1.5 TBSP)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp onion powder
2 TBSP steak marinade (I get this at the best of Missouri so I am not sure you can find it in the store)

Directions: Peel all 4 vegetables and shred. Mix shredded vegtables with rest of ingredients. Let sit in fridge at least 1 hour and up to 24.

Press patties into whatever size you like. I made 9 last night. Warm up non stick skillet with 1tsp of olive oil. Cook burgers 4-5 min each side or until finished. I covered the skillet with a lid for at least the last minute just to make sure they are done.


Modifications:
-I used Worcestershire sauce instead of a steak marinade.
-I did not use bread crumbs.

Here's what you'll need:

Peel the squash, sweet potatoes, and zucchini.

Grate the veggies


Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.


Refrigerate the mixture for an hour+.  I scored the mixture into quarters and then shaped them into patties.


Swirl a little olive oil into the pan and cook until finished.

Here's what you'll end up with:  (if you want cheeseburgers)
Our Thoughts:
These burgers were really good.  I loved that I was able to sneak in some extra veggies and it really got my mind whirling wondering what else I could have snuck in there.

Since I did not use the bread crumbs, the mixture was really watery.  Those bread crumbs would have soaked up the water from the veggies and I actually put a paper towel down in the bowl to soak some of the water up.  I think because I also used a grater that had holes really close together, that created more water, too.  I think next time I will just put the veggies in the food processor.

This burger really hit the spot and we all loved it!  I served this with Roasted Acorn Squash.

Hope you enjoy!
April




0 comments:

Post a Comment