Grilled Sweet Potatoes

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Grilled Sweet Potatoes from Food Network Magazine
Recipe by Bobby Flay
3 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
Kosher salt
2 tsps finely grated lime zest
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: Parcook the potatoes. Place in a pot of water and boil until fork-tender; let cool. Slice each potato lengthwise into eighths.

Preheat a grill to medium or place a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Mix 1 Tbsp salt, the lime zest and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.

Brush the potato wedges with the oil and season wtih salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on all sides (including the skin) and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; immediately season with the salt mixture and sprinkle with cilantro.

Here's what I started with:




Here's how I did it:

#1 I rinsed off 3 big sweet potatoes.


#2 I put them in a pan to boil until they were fork-tender, about 30 minutes.


#3 While the potatoes were boiling, I measured out the salt, lime zest and cayenne pepper and mixed them up.  Then, set it aside.




#4 I chopped and minced about 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro and set it aside.


#5 I poured some canola oil in a pan.



#6 The sweet potatoes were pulled and laid on the cutting board.  I waited for them to cool a bit and then I sliced them open and cut them into wedges.



#7 I tossed them in the canola oil and salt and peppered them.


#8 They then went on the grill, alongside some yummy sweet corn ears.  I turned them about every 2 minutes until all sides were grilled.


#9 Once finished, I pulled them from the grill and sprinkled the salt mixture over the top.  The last step was to then sprinkle them with the fresh cilantro.


The Finished Product:





Review:

OMG . . . they were fantastic.  I am not a huge sweet potato fan and in the recent months I have tried 3 or 4 recipes using them because I know that they are healthier than normal red or Idaho potatoes.  These potatoes were delicious.  They had the smokiness of the grill but the freshness of the cilantro.  These two added with that fantastic salt, lime zest and cayenne mixture made me want to eat the whole stinkin' platter myself.

I served these potatoes with grilled corn on the cob, a green salad and sirloins.  Thanks to Chris at Nibble Me This, the steaks were grilled to perfection.


6 comments:

Holly said...

Mmm... Your new star system is fabulous! I can't wait to try the sweet potatoes!

Chris said...

I will HAVE to make this for Alexis, she loves sweet potatoes. I'm like you, not a huge fan but love them in the right dishes like this! Thanks for the link:)

Unknown said...

rapid trim 24/7 beings are today full of desires that make them fulfill their every luxury requirements whether it’s about a living habit or eating habit. The craving activities of individuals are aimed towards tongue satisfaction despite their bad results with overeating several sugar and fat stuff. Such cases often lead to the development of extra fat structure inside the body that causes them to experience obesity and overweight condition. If you are not taking enough precautions today the future would be filled with troublesome health with the formation of bad cholesterol inside the body.

Olin Carlyle said...

zyalix reviews Plus the side effects were muscle cramps in my legs.When asked why I was canceling I said the product did nothing and the representative basically said it wasn’t for sexual enhancement but was for increasing energy Zylix Plus Male Nutrition & Natural Testosterone Performance.

georgelockie said...

ketofirm forskolin reviews Getting overweight is the biggest problem today. In this fast world, it's hard to look after your wellbeing and body.

Unknown said...

Buy from an ibx male enhancement You can purchase from a trusted name so re have a perfect shopping with feel of security.

Post a Comment