KFC Cole Slaw

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

KFC Coleslaw

1 cabbage -- shredded
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup carrots -- shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 drops Tabasco -- or to taste
3 tablespoons onions -- dry minced

Directions:  Slice cabbage paper thin, and toss lightly with sugar, shredded carrots.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drench it all with milk. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise (not salad dressing), buttermilk, celery seed, Tabasco and minced onion.
Mix well with cabbage mixture.

Refrigerate again at least an hour before serving.

Drain some of the dressing first and serve it separately at the table.

Modifications:
-I did not use celery seed.

Here's what I started with:

Here's how I did it:
#1  I thinly sliced the cabbage.

#2 I then sprinkld a little of sugar into the bowl.

#3 I added the carrots and then rest of the sugar.  Then I tossed it altogether.

#4 I added in 1/2 cup of milk and stirred it in.


#5 In a separate bowl, I measured out 1 cup of mayonnaise.  (I used the same measuring cup that the carrots were in so there was some leftovers.)

#6 I poured in 1/2 cup of buttermilk and 3 Tbsps of minced onion.


#7 I gave it 6 or 7 good dashes of hot sauce and then stirred it and poured it over the cabbage.


#8 I mixed it together and then put it in the refrigerator for about an hour and a half.

The Finished Product:


Review:

I thought this cole slaw tasted good but I wouldn't say that KFC Cole Slaw immediately jumped into my head.  I think it might have been a little closer if I would have added 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup but I definitely didn't want to do that. 

I don't have a grater, I keep forgetting to buy one, so some of the cabbage pieces were a little big and I used a handheld grater for the carrots so they were too fine.

Scott and Kanin both really liked it and had second and third helpings.  I served this with Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs.

Overall, I think it was a good side item.

Hope you enjoy!
April

1 comments:

Chris said...

To me when I think of KFC slaw, it is more a coarse chop than thin sliced and yeah, pretty sweet too. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Post a Comment