Mom's Roast

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tonight's meal is one of our family favorites.  My mom has been making this since as far back as I can remember.

Mom's Roast
2-3lbs beef roast
1 small bag of carrots
1 medium onion, quartered
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of potatoes, chopped
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms, stems and pieces (optional)
Flour
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

If using a traditional oven:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray.  If cooking in traditional oven, tightlty cover the dish with either a lid or tin foil before placing in the oven.

Cut up the meat into big chunks and trim excess fat. Liberally salt and pepper each piece and cover all sides with flour. Put meat in either roasting pan or crockpot; then, add all other ingredients either on top of meat or around the sides, if pan is large enough. Take 1 can of soup, either cream of mushroom or celery, 1 package of onion soup mix and 1 cup of water and mix together.  Pour this mixture over the meat.  Cook in the oven for about 3-4 hours or 6 hours in the crockpot. After roast is done make up some corn starch/water and thicken juices for gravy.

Modifications:
-I didn't do the corn starch mixture.
-You could add whatever vegetables that you choose.

Here's what I used:

Here's how I did it:
#1 I cut up some potatoes.  Usually, I would use a small bag of new potatoes but since I already had a bag of potatoes I just used those.
#2 I sliced up an onion.
#3 I trimmed the fat off of the meat.
#4 I liberally covered each piece of meat with  Home Seasoning .  You can also just use salt and pepper.

#5 I covered each piece of meat and then placed it in a baking dish.

#6 Next, the onions and the potatoes went in.


#7 I put the carrots on top and then opened a small can of mushrooms, stems and pieces, and put them on top of everything.



#8 Next, I opened up a can of cream of mushroom soup and added a package of Lipton Onion Soup mix and 1 cup of water and mixed it altogether.



#9 The soup mixture then went on top of everything. 
#10 I covered the dish tightly with tin foil and put it in the oven for 3 1/2 hours.
The Finished Product:

Review:

What can I say about this?  It is delicious.  It is awesome.  You absolute must try it!

I served this with a side of corn.  My mom ususally serves it with green beans, biscuits and a salad.

Hope you enjoy!
April

1 comments:

Chris said...

Mom is always right, isn't she? How do mom's pull that off?

Post a Comment