Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs from Sister's Cafe

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (1-1/2 inch)
1 each: red and green pepper, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I like Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy)
3 Tb. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

Directions:  Heat grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken alternately with pineapple and peppers onto skewers to make 4 kabobs. (I used 1.5lbs of chicken and extra pineapple, which made 7 big kabobs). Mix barbecue sauce and juice concentrate, brush some of the sauce mixture onto kabobs. Grill 8-10 minutes or until chicken is done, turning and brushing occasionally with remaining sauce mixture.

Here's what I started with:

Here's how I did it:
#1 I cut up a green pepper, red pepper and an onion into big chunks.

#2 I cut up a package of chicken tenders.

#3 I cut up a fresh pineapple into chunks (yummy!).

#4 I strung the various parts onto some kabob sticks.

#5 I poured 1/2 cup bbq sauce into a bowl and added 3 Tbsps of concentrated orange juice and then mixed it up.

#6 Out on the grill, I put the kabobs on medium-high hea and started brushing on bbq sauce.  I turned them a few times and kept brushing on the bbq sauce.  They cooked for about 10 minutes or so.


The Finished Product:

Review:

I love kabobs; they let me know that summer is almost here! 

Since I used chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts, the pieces were pretty thin so I had to double them over to get them on the skewers.  In doing this, I had to be careful that the chicken cooked through.

I really didn't taste the orange juice in the bbq sauce.  I definitely think that it it could have been left out and it would not have affected the taste at all.  You could use any type of bbq sauce that you prefer.

I thought that these tasted pretty good but nothing that I was jumping up and down over.  Once again, though, it reminded me of sunny, warm days to come so I was happy!

I served this with KFC Cole Slaw.

Hope you enjoy!
April

3 comments:

Chris said...

I was surprised the OJ didn't come through. If I saw this recipe without hearing your thoughts, I probably would have thought the concentrate would be too strong and would have subbed plain OJ instead (and how weak would THAT have been?).

I love a good kabob, thanks for posting!

April Westerhold said...

I will check it out. Love your site! I was surprised, too. I thought that the OJ combined with the pineapple would have really given those bites a citrusy flavor but, alas, no.

Fatboys menu said...

Hello, Love the blog.
The kabob sticks soak in water for half hour or so and the dont burn up.
I will be trying them soon

Later
Fatboy

Post a Comment