Greek-Style Chicken Skillet

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I was at a grocery store and they were sampling foods.  They had a Greek-style chicken with couscous and I knew I wanted to try it at home.  This isn't the exact recipe but is very close.

Greek-Style Chicken Skillet from Shine
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
1-1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1 medium)
3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
1 10.75-ounce can condensed tomato soup
2 cups hot cooked couscous*
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
Lemon wedges

Directions:  Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. In a 12-inch skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken registers 170F on an instant-read thermometer, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.

Add zucchini, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, and the 1/8 teaspoon black pepper to skillet. Add the water; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir in soup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes more, stirring once.

To serve, divide couscous among dinner plates. Place chicken on couscous. Spoon vegetable mixture over chicken and couscous. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.
*Note: For 2 cups cooked couscous, in a 1-quart saucepan bring 1 cup water and a dash of salt to boiling. Stir in 2/3 cup quick-cooking couscous. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

Nutrition Facts * Servings Per Recipe 4 servings * Calories401, * Total Fat (g)10, * Saturated Fat (g)4, * Monounsaturated Fat (g)4, * Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1, * Cholesterol (mg)99, * Sodium (mg)827, * Carbohydrate (g)36, * Total Sugar (g)9, * Fiber (g)4, * Protein (g)41, * Vitamin C (DV%)50, * Calcium (DV%)14, * Iron (DV%)12, * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Here's what you'll need:

Cut up the veggies and garlic

Cook the chicken.

Once fully cooked, pull the chicken out of the pan and throw the veggies in.

Veggies with 1/4 cup of water

Add the can of tomato soup, cover and cook for another 5 minutes

I put the chicken back in the pan.

Serve over the couscous.  Here's what you'll end up with:


Here it is with some feta cheese on top:

I served this with this parmesan couscous and this new homestyle macaroni and cheese.

Our Thoughts:
I knew I would like this dish.  It has 4 of my favorite foods:  garlic, peppers, onions, and feta cheese.  The tomato soup added a sweetness but I think you could probably also just use diced tomatoes.

In my opinion, though, the couscous made this dish.  If you've never had couscous, it is kind of like rice or a bulgur wheat.  It doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own but with the chicken, veggies, and sauce spooned over it, it was fantastic.  The feta on top was the "icing on the cake."  I could not believe how much my kids loved the couscous.  They each ate 2 big helpings.

I wanted to take a picture of the kind of couscous and macaroni and cheese that I served (along with green beans).  This macaroni and cheese was very cheesy and I thought the kids would love it but they were too worried about eating the couscous.

By the way, Scott is NOT flipping everyone the bird.  I had him hold up the packages and didn't realize his middle finger was out until I posted it.  We both had a good laugh out of it.  LOL

Hope you enjoy!
April


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Lovin' this blog too. Feel free to stop by for Tip Day Thursday to link up or anytime.

Wendy
Around My Family Table

Chris said...

I don't do a ton of Greek but love it when I do. This looks good, I bet it would be good with some olives tossed in at the end too. Great dish!

Post a Comment