Spicy Shepherd's Pie

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Still horribly sick around here and I doubt I will be cooking, once again.  Here is my post from last Sunday's Our Krazy Kitchen.

This recipe is participating in





Spicy Shepherd's Pie adapted from Greetings from Guatemala
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn, drained
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
4 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:  Brown ground beef with onion; add all ingredients except potatoes and cheese. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Pour into 9x13" pan. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the cheese and meat mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 min.

-serves 8

Modifications:  I did not add the chili powder because of my 1 year old.


Here's what you'll need:



Peel, cut up, and boil the potatoes.  


While the potatoes cook, brown the ground beef.


Drain and rinse one can of corn and one can of black beans.

Preheat the to 350 degrees.

Once the ground beef is brown, add the corn, black beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning.


Add the tomatoes.

Add the taco seasoning.

When the potatoes are done, mash them up.  If you need a good mashed potato recipe, I think my mom's is the best.


Pour the meat mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Spread half of the cheese over the mixture.

Spoon and spread the mashed potatoes over the mixture.  I left a little portion with no potatoes for me (not necessarily Weight Watchers friendly-LOL)

Put into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes.

Here's what you'll end up with:




Our Thoughts:
If you are running short on time, you could probably use instant mashed potatoes.  Did we like this?  Kanin (my oldest son) told me that this was "awesome" and wants to take it to school for lunch tomorrow.  I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement!

Hope you enjoy!
April
















0 comments:

Post a Comment