Mom's Snow Cream

Thursday, January 20, 2011

We woke up this morning to 10+ inches of snow.  I know to some of you that may not be very much but we never see that much snow here.  While on Facebook I saw quite a few people from my hometown talking about snow cream.  I haven't had snow cream since I was a child.  Snow cream is just like it sounds, "ice" cream made out of snow. 

Mom's Snow Cream
2 cups sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanila
1 egg
8 cups snow

Directions:  Beat egg until you can no longer see white.  Add sugar, milk, and vanilla.  Go out into clean snow (we NEVER did the first snow of the year) and gather a bunch of snow.  Pour the mixture over the snow.  May have to add a bit of milk to reach the consistency you desire.

Here's what you'll need (plus 8 cups snow):

Beat egg until no longer see white.


Add 2 cups sweet condensed milk

Add 1 cup sugar

Add 2 tsp vanilla

Get your snow




Pour the mixture over the snow and stir.


Here's what you'll end up with:



Our Thoughts:
Snow cream is definitely a country thing.  When I told Scott that I was going to make snow cream he had no idea what I was talking about.

The kids loved it.  They had a lot of fun helping to make it and I think they were just surprised at how much it tasted like ice cream.  Scott took a bite and said, "tastes just like ice cream" but I still think he was freaked out to eat snow because he only had that one bite and that is not like him at all.

It did remind me of growing up but I will say it was way too sweet for me, which is probably why the kids loved it so much.  I think the sweet condensed milk and the sugar just put it over the top for me.  LOL

I'm glad to have done this with the kids.  I hope it made a memory for them.

Hope you enjoy!
April

****(4 Stars)--This dish was good.

2 comments:

Debbi Hendrix said...

You better keep milk and vanilla on hand, because now you will have to make it everytime it snows enough. LOLOL Glad they liked it.

EatDrinkBeRunning said...

It doesn't snow where I live but if it did this is totally something I would make with my kids! Following all your blogs now http://hungrigyrl.blogspot.com

Post a Comment