Mom's Southern Cornbread

Saturday, January 1, 2011

I love cornbread.  Yes, I know that it isn't good for you but I love it.  In our house, though, there is a battle between sweet cornbread.  Scott doesn't like it unless it is sweet and I say it isn't cornbread unless it is like my mom's.  Her's is just a plain corn meal mix and flour cornbread.  Now, I have heard of some Southerners adding in a can of cream style corn or even some jalapenos or onions but, for me, I just like it plain.

Mom's Southern Corn Bread
2 cups corn meal mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 package of sweetern or 1/2 tsp sugar
1 egg
Milk
Crisco

Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the corn meal, flour and egg.  Add milk until it is pancake consistency.  Take your wrought iron skillet and put it on the stovetop.  Put about 1 1/2 Tbsp of Crisco in the pan and swirl it around.  Let the grease get hot and then add it to the corn meal mix.  (It should crackle when added).  Pour the mixture into your wrought iron skillet.  Bake until the top is lightly brown.

*You really need to make this in a wrought iron skillet.
**As with all home-style recipes, these ingredients are not definite.  If you add a little more or less of one or the other, it is ok. 

Here's what you'll need:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Put the Crisco in your skillet and let it melt.

Mix the corn meal, flour, sweetener, and egg together.

Add milk to the bowl until is is pancake consistency.


Swirl the grease all around your skillet to coat and then pour it into the cornmeal.


Pour the cornmeal into the skillet.  It will probably crackle a bit.

Into the oven until the top is light brown, probably about 25-30 minutes.

Flip the cornbread out of the skillet onto a plate and here is what you get:

Our Thoughts:

I really don't know what else to say about this cornbread.  It has been a staple in my life and I think it is the best I've ever tasted.  The wrought iron skillet will make the top (bottom when you pour it in) nice and crispy when you flip it out.  Inside, the bread is moist. 

My dad used to always take the leftovers and crumble them up in a glass with some cold milk.  I still keep the leftovers and heat up and smear butter all over it. 

I will definitely make this for the rest of my life!

Hope you enjoy!
April

I posted this recipe on Say Hi Sunday Blog Party:



4 comments:

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Following from Say Hi Sunday:) Love your blog and I hope to see you around ThreeBoys sometime soon.
Happy New Year:)
s

ps. that cornbread looks AMAZING!

Unknown said...

That looks yummy! I really need to get some cast iron skillets. Note to self to add to my birthday wish list...

Just stopping by from the Say Hi Sunday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you'd come vist and follow me too at my new giveaway blog, Swagtastic Mama!

Chris said...

Skillet cornbread rocks!

And I like to use corn and peppers in mine...Shhhh! don't tell.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

YUM! I love cornbread too, must be the southern up bringing. Can't quite get my Canadian husband to agree :) Thanks for the recipe, it looks so good. Stopped by from Say Hi Sunday. Love you sight, have a great one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment