Cheesy Cauliflower

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

heesy Cauliflower by Rachel Ray
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 whole cauliflower
1/3 cup, about 3 ounces, Boursin or other garlic and herb soft cheese

Directions:  Add chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, to a deep pot. Trim away greens and stems from the base of cauliflower. Cut away the core with a sharp paring knife. Set cored head into pot with broth. Cover pot and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook cauliflower, covered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover the pot and mash the cauliflower. Let some liquid cook off as you smash the cheeses into the cauliflower. As the mixture thickens, turn off heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in chives and transfer cauliflower to as serving dish.

Modifications:
-I did put in the chives or the nutmeg.
-I used beef stock instead of chicken stock because that's what I had.

This is what I started with:


This is how I did it:

#1 I put the olive oil and the beef stock in a pan and turned it on to boil.


#2 I trimmed all of the extra leaves.


#3 Then I put the cauliflower in the pan and covered it.  Once it started to boil, I turned it down and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.



#4 I opened the Boursin cheese.



#5 Once the cauliflower was really soft, I cut out the rest of the center core of the cauliflower.


#6 I mashed up the cauliflower and then added the Boursin cheese.




#7 I let the cauliflower and cheese continue to simmer until more of the liquid evaporated.

The Finished Product:


Review:

I saw this on Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Recipes and it looked so good.  I have never had Boursin cheese before and let me tell you, I could have eaten the whole round circle by myself.  It was absolutely delicious.  It was garlicky and salty.  It would be perfect spread on some crackers for a party.

The cheesy cauliflower was a little bit runnier than I thought it would be but it still had a great flavor.  I just used a slotted spoon when serving it. 

I thought it was kind of difficult to mash the cauliflower up because the entire core was not cut away when I followed Rachel's directions.  I think that the nex time I would just go ahead and cut all of the flowerettes off of the core and boil those.  I think they would cook faster and it would be much easier to mash.

Hope you enjoy!
April


****(4 Stars)--This dish was good. There wasn't a whole lot that we would do differently. We will have it again.

1 comments:

Chris said...

I love boursin cheese. Try it mixed in to your usual scrambled eggs, it's incredible!

Post a Comment