Tuna and White Bean Salad

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuna and White Bean Salad from Our Krazy Kitchen
2 (6-ounce) cans dark meat tuna, packed in olive oil (I just had tuna in water, so I drained it and added a couple tablespoons olive oil to the salad)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions:  In a large bowl, add the tuna with its olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Using a fork, break up the tuna into bite-size pieces, then gently toss in the beans and onions. Drizzle with the red wine vinegar and season with more salt and pepper, if needed, to taste. Transfer the salad to plates and serve.

I served this on top of a 50/50 mixed green salad.

Modifications: 
-I didn't have any cannellini beans so I just used white beans.
-I was out of red wine vinegar so I used a combination of apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar.

Here's what I started with:


The Finished Product:
















Review:

This was a great, easy, healthy lunchtime meal.  You could eat this as a sandwich or as part of a salad.  You could also add a wide variety of vegetables to this meal.

I really liked the texture that the beans added and the vinegar gave it a nice tanginess.  Overall, I really enjoyed this meal.  I think next time, though, I would cut the recipe in half because the kids would have no part of it. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment