Turkey Call Sandwich

Monday, June 28, 2010

Turkey Call Sandwich from Nibble Me This
6 slices of bacon
2 each turkey breast cutlets
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp garlic pepper
1/2 cup honey mustard
1 tomato, sliced
2 slices of Swiss cheese
1 loaf french bread

Directions:  Cook bacon to a crisp.  Pound cutlets to 1/4" thickness with a metal mallet.  Season with salt and garlic pepper.  Grill over a 350 degree fire (medium heat) for 2 minutes.  Flip and brush the top with honey mustard. 

Cook another 2 minutes.  Flip and brush with honey mustard.  Cook another minute and remove.

Top the sliced French bread with sliced grilled turkey and drizzle the honey mustard sauce.  Add a thin slice of tomato and kosher salt.  Add a couple pieces of crispy bacon and sliced swiss cheese. Add some mayonnaise to the top layer of French bread.  Put it all together in a panini press or make your own panini press by grilling it in a hot pan topped with a heated cast iron skillet.  Cook for 5-8 minutes.

Modifications:
-I did used turkey bacon instead of pork bacon.
-I did not have garlic pepper so I used garlic salt and ground pepper.
-I did not put mayonnaise on the sandwich.
-I used turkey breasts instead of cutlets.
-I used smoke gouda instead of swiss cheese.

This is what I started with:


This is how I did it:

#1 I seasoned both sides of the turkey breasts with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper.


#2 I cut thick slices of French bread.


#3 I put the turkey breasts onto a medium high grill and brushed Boar's Head Honey Mustard on each side each time I flipped them.


#4 Once they were cooked through, I pulled them off the grill.

#5 I sliced up the turkey breasts (they were huge) and laid them on a piece of French bread.


#6 I added some thin slices of tomatoes.


#7 Next, came a couple slices of smoke gouda.


#8 I put on a couple pices of crisp turkey bacon. 


#9 Then, I put some more honey mustard on the top slice of bread.



#10 Finally, I placed the sandwiches in a large cast iron skillet and topped it with another.  I left them in there for about 3 minutes and then I flipped it.


The Finished Product:

Review:

I got this recipe today from Chris at Nibble Me This and I immediately thought that this was something that Scott and I would really enjoy.  I also have never cooked turkey breasts and I wanted to check it out (I told you all that I am not a chef!). 

This sandwich was really, really good.  I am typically not a honey mustard fan but the Boar's Head Honey Mustard had a tang to it and wasn't overwhelmingly sweet.  The turkey with the bacon, honey mustard, tomatoes and toasted bread was such a great combination so I was really happy that I have enough for leftover tomorrow. 

I served this with one of Scott's brand new favorite items, Cheesy Cauliflower.

This sandwich was great!

Hope you enjoy.
April


1 comments:

Chris said...

Glad you liked it:) You'll like the leftover's too, guess what I had for lunch at work today? ;)

Post a Comment