Sloppy Genies served with Johnny Corn Cakes

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sloppy Genies from the Schnuck's Test Kitchens
1Tbsp canola oil
4 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 package (16 oz) fresh ground turkey
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with garlic and onions, drained
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup coarsely chopped resh cilantro leaves

Directions:  In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add green onions, garlic and bell pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.  Add ground turkey and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until turkey loses its pink color throughout, breaking up turkey with side of spoon.  Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and Tobasco.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until most liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve over corn cakes.

Modifications:
-You can use either ground turkey, beef or pork.
-I did not add the Tabasco sauce.
-I used the entire bunch of green onions, stems and all.

Here's what I started with:  (forgot to picture the Worcestershire)

Here's how I did it:

#1 I put the ground turkey on to cook with the green onions, garlic and green pepper.



#2 Once the ground turkey was fully cooked, I opened and drained the can of tomatoes with garlic and onion and added it to the mix. 


#3 I added the Worcestershire and salt.  Then, I let it simmer until the liquid was evaporated.


#4 Meanwhile, I coarsely chopped some cilantro.


#5 Once the liquid was mostly gone, I tossed the cilantro in the pan.


The Finished Product:  (served with Johnny Corn Cakes--1 box of Jiffy corn meal mix with 1 can of whole kernal corn, drained, added.  Follow box instructions).

Review:

I found this recipe while grocey shopping at Schnuck's.  They were doing one of their tasting demonstrations and I thought it was really interesting.  I wouldn't expect to combine the tanginess of the meat mixture with the sweetness of the corn cake.  It reminded me of a Tex-Mex meal.

You could very easily makes this a spicier dish by adding jalapenos or maybe instead of the can of tomatoes add chipotles in adobe sauce.  I think this meat mixture would also work really well as a nacho topping or even fajitas.

Unfortunately, I was the only one who was really crazy about this meal.  Scott couldn't quite get into the texture of the corn bread along with the meat.  I will say that it could have a tendancy to be a little dry.  He said that he thought it was good and definitely worth trying because it was different but it just wasn't one of his favorite meals.  I, on the other hand, really liked it.

Hope you enjoy!
April

***(3 Stars)--This dish was ok.  (only because I was the only one who really liked it)

0 comments:

Post a Comment