Turkey Sloppy Joes

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Turkey Sloppy Joes
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 onion, chopped
About 1/4-1/2 cup ketchup
About 2 Tbsp mustard
About 2 Tbsp brown sugar
About 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 small can tomato sauce

Directions:  Cook ground turkey through, drain and return meat back to skillet.  Add a couple of swirls of mustard, 3-4 really big squeezes of ketchup, 1 can tomto sauce, a couple dashes of worcestershire and a handful of brown sugar.  Mix together and let simmer 10-15 minutes.  As with all of my mom's recipes, there is nothing exact, everything is seasoned to taste.

Here's what I started with:


Here's how I did it:

#1 I browned the turkey and cooked it with the onions.


#2 I added a couple swirls of mustard and 3-4 big squeezes of ketchup.



#3 I added 1 can of tomato sauce.


#4  Some brown sugar, worcestershire sauce and salt/pepper.


The Finished Product:



Review:

Once again, my mom's recipes are the best to me!  I love the tanginess of the mustard and I usually end up adding more mustard to my sandwich, as well.  As I said above, there is no set recipe.  If there is something you think might be missing, i.e. hot sauce, green peppers, dry mustard, just go ahead and add and taste.

I didn't eat my sloppy joe on a bun but rather with some iceberg lettuce as a wrap and it was yummy.  Of course, this sauce can be used fr ground beef or pork, as well.

Hope you enjoy!
April



2 comments:

Debbi Hendrix said...

Thank you, glad it turned out well!!

Chris said...

Ever wonder why anyone bothers buying that canned mix? :)

Post a Comment