Crockpot Spanish Braised Chicken

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crockpot Spanish Braised Chicken from A Year of Slow Cooking
1 T of butter (not pictured)
4 large chicken breast halves
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 t dried thyme
3 bell peppers, sliced (I used red and orange)
1 medium yellow onion, sliced in rings
1/2 cup cooking sherry (you could use apple juice)
2 t orange juice
12 large green olives, chopped

Directions: Plug in your crockpot and turn it to low. Add the butter to the bottom of the stoneware insert. Add the chicken--my chicken was frozen, but thawed would work, too. Add all of the dried spices to the chicken. Cut the peppers and onion, and chop or mince the garlic, to add to the mix. Top off with the cooking sherry and orange juice. Chop up the green olives, and sprinkle them on top.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Here's what I started with:



Here's how I did it:

#1 I turned the crockpot on low (10 hours) because my crockpot acts more like a cooker.



#2 I put the butter in the crockpot.



#3 I put the chicken breasts into the crockpot. Mine were frozen, which is fine.


#4 I seasoned the chicken with Home Seasoning.


#5 I added the thyme.



#6 Then, I sliced up 1 each of red, green and yellow pepper and added them to the crockpot.





#7 I sliced a medium onion into rings and added them.





#8 I chopped up 3 garlic cloves and threw them in.





#9 I didn't have any apple juice but I did have an Apple Harvest Fruitable so I emptied the whole box into it.

#10 I also poured in a couple Tablespoons of orange juice at the same time.



#11 I chopped up about 12 smaller sized olives and threw them in, as well.







The Finished Product:





Review:

I put this in the crockpot early this morning and went out for the day. Man, when I walked back in the smell was fantastic. This chicken was really moist and tender and had a great juice with it.

The whole time I was eating it I kept thinking that it would taste fantastic as a sandwich.

I served this with mashed potatoes and Scott had a great idea that made it taste even better . . . he poured it over the mashed potatoes and ended up eating 3 helpings of it. I tried it that way, too, and he was right. The juice was great on the potatoes, kind of like a gravy, and it really enhanced all of it.

Hope you enjoy!

April

2 comments:

Holly said...

I can't wait to make this! I will take your suggestion and serve it on hoagie rolls. =)

Chris said...

I like the green olives in there. I might make this in a dutch oven on the grill. Sounds tasty.

Post a Comment