Spicy Sausage, Chicken and Beans

Monday, March 1, 2010

Last week I was watching Rachel Ray and saw her making this meal. I thought it sounded like things that my family will eat (chicken, sausage and beans) and decided to give it a whirl.

(Sorry some of the pics are blurry. I am trying to combine 2 hobbies--cooking and photography).

Spicy Sausage, Chicken and Beans Recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
3/4 pound bulk Italian hot sausage
3/4 pound, 1 package, andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch lengths on an angle
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
2 carrots, shredded
3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart, thinly sliced
1 fresh bay leaf
2 (15-ounce) cans white cannellini beans
5 to 6 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 loaf baguette
3 tablespoons butter, melted
A handful fresh parsley sprigs, left whole
3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, left whole

Directions: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Crumble the Italian sausage into large pieces, add to Dutch oven and begin to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the andouille and crisp at edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove browned sausages to a paper towel lined plate and add chicken, season with salt and pepper. Lightly brown chicken a couple of minutes on each side then add veggies and bay leaf, add more salt and pepper and cook 7 to 8 minutes more to soften veggies. Add sausages back to the pan along with the beans and sage. Deglaze with wine and stir in the stock.

Turn broiler on and set rack in the middle of the oven.

Coarsely chop the bread in food processor into large crumbs, remove blade and toss with melted butter (it melts in 15 seconds in microwave) and the parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the sausage and chicken with bread and set in oven to brown 2 to 3 minutes. Serve directly from the pot. Keep an eye out for that bay leaf and sprigs!

Modifications:

-I used turkey kielbasa.
-I added 1/2 bag of frozen vegetables to it.
-I didn't use any celery.
-I added 3 cloves of crushed garlic.
-I did not make the bread on top of the dish.

Here's what I started with:



Here's how I did it:
#1 I grated 1 large carrot.


#2 I cut up 1 large onion.


#3 I crushed 3 cloves of garlic


#4 I pulled the casing off of the sausage. Although it doesn't say to do this in the recipe, I saw Rachel do this when watching this episode.



#5 I cut up 2 chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.


#6 Threw some olive oil in a dutch oven and then cut up the sausage and put it in to brown up.






#7 Once the sausage browned up, I took it out.



#8 Next, I threw in the chicken, garlic and onions.




#9 Once the chicken had browned up some, I then added the carrots and 1/2 bag of frozen vegetables.





#10 I added the thyme, salt and pepper.

#11 I grabbed a handful of parsley and chopped it up. (It smelled SO good)



#12 Once the chicken was fully cooked and the vegetables were softened up, I put the sausage back in.

#13 I added 2 cans of garbanzo beans (I emptied out the juice first).

#14 The parsley went in.

#15 I added about 1/4 cup of wine to deglaze the bottom and then I added 1 can of chicken broth.



#16 Since we really like beans I added a can of pinto beans.

The Finished Product
Review:
We actually really liked this meal. Scott' exact words were "I didn't think I was going to like this but it is really, really good". The one thing that I really like about this recipe is that you can virtually put whatever you want in the pot. You could use any meat, any beans or any veggies. I think this would be a great "clean your pantry out" meal.
I think that it could have the potential to be bland so I would definitely suggest adding herbs and garlic. The fresh parsley really brought out a good flavor in this dish and, as I said before, it smelled so good.
I had a box of Jiffy corn meal mix so I made corn muffins but I think this would be excellent with some crusty bread to kind of sop up the broth.
Enjoy!
April

1 comments:

Holly said...

It looks and sounds delicious. I have a few things in my pantry that I would definitely add. I liked how you made your own modifications to the recipe. I love Rachel Ray and have one of her cook books, but I don't like making a meal that needs 20 different ingredients that I might not use again.

Thanks for posting this... I am going to try this next week! =)

Post a Comment